Monday, November 22, 2010

 

Machiavelli and His Books

Niccolò Machiavelli, letter to Francesco Vettori (December 10, 1513, tr. John Addington Symonds):
When I leave the wood, I proceed to a well, and thence to the place which I use for snaring birds, with a book under my arm—Dante, or Petrarch, or one of the minor poets, like Tibullus or Ovid. I read the story of their passions, and let their loves remind me of my own, which is a pleasant pastime for a while....But when evening falls I go home and enter my writing-room. On the threshold I put off my country habit, filthy with mud and mire, and array myself in royal courtly garments; thus worthily attired, I make my entrance into the ancient courts of the men of old, where they receive me with love, and where I feed upon that food which only is my own and for which I was born. I feel no shame in conversing with them and asking them the reason of their actions. They, moved by their humanity, make answer; for four hours' space I feel no annoyance, forget all care; poverty cannot frighten, nor death appal me. I am carried away to their society.

Partitomi dal bosco, io me ne vo ad una fonte, e di quivi a un mio uccellare. Ho un libro sotto, o Dante o Petrarca, o uno di questi poeti minori, come dire Tibullo, Ovidio e simili: leggo quelle loro amorose passioni e quelli loro amori, ricordomi de' mia, godomi un pezzo in questo pensiero....Venuta la sera, mi ne ritorno a casa, et entro nel mio scrittoio; et in sull'uscio mi spoglio quella veste contadina, piena di fango e di loto, e mi metto panni civili e curiali, e rivestito condecentemente entro nelle antique corti degli antiqui uomini, dove, da loro ricevuto amorevolmente, mi pasco di quel cibo, che solum è mio, e per il quale io nacqui; dove io non mi vergogno parlare con loro, e domandarli della ragione delle loro azioni; e quelli per loro umanità mi rispondono; e non sento per quattro ore di tempo alcuna noia, sdimentico ogni affanno, non temo la povertà, non mi sbigottisce la morte: tutto mi trasferisco in loro.
Dressing in one's best clothes to read the best books—that's the mark of a true book lover.

Jean-Siméon Chardin, Chimiste dans son laboratoire



<< Home
Newer›  ‹Older

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?